Applications for the CPRS Hamilton 2020-2021 Mentorship Program are now open.
Each year strong mentor/mentee relationships are formed through the CPRS Hamilton mentorship program.
The program is being designed for those in the early stages of their career, the CPRS Hamilton Mentorship Program pairs PR students or new practitioners with mid- or senior-level mentors for one-on-one guidance and support.
Due to restrictions related to COVID-19, all mentorship activities and events will take place in a virtual format.
Below are some frequently asked questions to help you determine if the program is the right fit for you.
What is the time commitement and program structure?
As a member of the CPRS Hamilton Mentorship Program, you will make a seven-month commitment (October 2020 to April 2021) to building a two-way relationship and staying connected.
Together, you will develop a set of goals based on your individual needs and interests and set out a path for how you’ll achieve those goals.
The mentorship committee will provide you with interactive and learning-based event programming and support to help build your relationship.
Important: Mentees are expected to attend the majority of mentorship events.
All mentees must attend the mentorship orientation event in October.
You are committing to join not only a program – but a professional community of other mentees and mentors, in which contribution and active participation is a requirement. You’ll find that the greater the involvement, the better the experience and learning!
What are the benefits of this program?
Being a Mentee can help you develop personal and professional skills and insights that will help you advance in your career. As a mentee you’ll gain:
- Access to an intermediate or senior practitioner in your field of interest who can serve as a guide and confidant as you progress in your PR career.
- An opportunity to gain valuable industry skills and knowledge.
Building essential networking skills as well as establishing a network of PR contacts.
- Guidance with writing your resume, developing your portfolio or other career advice.
Being a Mentor can be a highly rewarding and satisfying experience. Some of the benefits to you include:
- An opportunity to enhance your communication and leadership skills.
- A chance to broaden your own network as you become engaged in the world of an intermediate or junior practitioner or PR student.
- A sense of accomplishment and pride as you participate in the successes of your mentee.
- Increased recognition from your peers and professional society for your contributions to our profession.
- Learning through the knowledge of your mentee and other mentees and mentors in the program.
How can I join?
Applications for the 2020-21 program year will be opening this summer.
The program is open to CPRS Hamilton members only. Please visit the CPRS Hamilton membership page for membership benefits and fees.
If you are a student or new graduate interested in the program that is facing a financial barrier to membership, please contact email@example.com to discuss possible options.
What have previous years' mentees liked best?
As part of the CPRS Hamilton mentorship program evaluation, we asked our program participants to share their feedback.
Here’s what mentees and mentors liked best:
- Networking and practical advice
- Close guidance, supervision and friendly advice of my mentor
- Opportunity to share skills and knowledge
- Learning about the different areas within PR
- Access to a good cross section of mentors with my career
What have previous years' mentors liked best?
- Program is very well organized
- Opportunity to meet and work with emerging PR practitioners
- Opportunity to share expertise and knowledge of the profession
- Opportunity to give back to the profession
- Having something to do for my profession that wasn’t directly related to my work
- Meeting & talking with the students – exchange of ideas.
Group Events Schedule
Exclusive mentorship events and student events will be held throughout the months of October 2020 and May 2021. Mentees are expected to participate in the majority of mentorship events.
October 2020 - Mentorship Orientation (mentees only)
November 2020 (TBD) - #ELEVATEPR (open to all)
November 2020 - Job Application and LinkedIn Workshop (open to mentees and students)
January 2021 (TBD) - Writing Workshop (open to mentees and students)
February 2021 (TBD) - PR Professionalism and Business Etiquette Panel (open to mentees and students)
March 2021 (TBD) - Young Practitioners #AskMeAnything Panel (open to mentees and students)
April 2021 (TBD) - #ELEVATPR (open to all)
April 2021 (TBD) - Mentorship Wrap-Up Celebration (mentees only)
May 2020 (TBD) - CPRS Hamliton Annual General Meeting (open to all)
Schedule is tentative and subject to change.