CPRS National Conference 2018
June 9, 2018
Presidents’ Council Meeting
Co-President Dustin Manley represented CPRS Hamilton during the Presidents Council meeting preceding the National Conference, during May 26, 2018, in Charlottetown, PE. Representatives from each of CPRS’ 14 Local Societies, along with members of the National Board of Directors, were in attendance to share their successes, challenges, and discuss goals for the future.
Highlights of the Council Meeting include:
- CPRS National’s new strategic framework founded upon the following four pillars: Community, Collaboration, Conscience, and Careers.
- An overview of CPRS National’s recent Membership Report and Survey results.
- A walkthrough of the new CPRS National website which is due for launch in late June.
Amongst the 14 Local Societies, CPRS Hamilton remains recognized as a leader in good governance and providing value to our members. We look forward to collaborating with our sister societies and CPRS National in building a brighter future for CPRS and the public relations and communications management industry in Canada.
CPRS National Annual General Meeting
The Annual General Meeting of The Canadian Public Relations Society Inc. was be held on Sunday, May 27, 2018, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m., at the Confederation Ballroom, Prince Edward Island Convention Centre, Charlottetown, P.E.I. for the following purposes:
- Approval of the minutes of the 2017 Annual General Meeting;
- Approval of the audited financial statements for the year ending March 31, 2018;
- Appointment of the auditors for 2018-2019;
- Approval of increasing membership dues by 3.7% effective July 1, 2018;
- Approval of reports of the Committees and Councils;
- Approval of the acts of the Directors and Officers of the Society; and
- Election of Directors including new members: Michelle James (Regina), Wayne Knorr, APR (New Brunswick), Brigitte Stock, APR (Quebec), Natalie Tomczak (Regina)
- Such other business that may come before the meeting.
CPRS National recognized the following Hamilton members for their contributions:
- Grace Diffey, APR, FCPRS (The Future of CPRS Committee)
- Terry Flynn, PhD, APR, FCPRS (The Future of Public Relations White Paper)
Former CPRS Hamilton President and current PD Chair, Dr. Alexandre Sevigny, APR, was recognized for his three years of stalwart service on the National Board of Directors which concluded at the end of the Annual General Meeting.
2018 CPRS National Awards of Excellence
CPRS Hamilton members Alexandria Anderson, Agnes Bongers, MCM, and their team at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton earned a hat-trick of awards for the following categories:
- Gold: Canadian Health Care Campaign of the Year
- Silver: Canadian Internal Communications Campaign of the year
- Bronze: Canadian Digital Communications Campaign of the Year
Connexions delegates had the opportunity to learn more about the Gold and Bronze winning campaign, Canada’s 1stFacebook Live Kidney Transplant Reaches 36 Million, during a presentation delivered by Alexandria Andreson and Agnes Bongers on May 29, 2018.
Mentor of the Year Diamond Jubilee Award
Terry Flynn, PhD, APR, FCPRS was recognized with this award for his years of actively mentoring public relations practitioners and students in the service of advancing their careers and appreciation of our profession.
This is the second year in a row a CPRS Hamilton member has received this recognition, with David Rowney, APR, FCPRS, earning the award in 2017. Since its establishment in 2008, three CPRS Hamilton members have been recognized with this award.